Monday, October 17, 2011

Sweet Potatoes

About a month before I planted the pumpkins, I planted some sweet potatoes.  There are only 5 vines in this box!!!  We did a little better with them than the pumpkins.  They were expensive to buy and we ‘might’ have gotten a little better yield if we had waited until the leaves turned.  Of course, we didn’t know when to pick them and the first one we found was HUGE.  It was a lot of work keeping both crops watered over the drought.  As it turned out we probably should have watered the pumpkins less, but we won’t know until we try again next year.  We tried these crops because the price of everything keeps going up and I thought we should try other things.  To be honest though, I HATE gardening in the summer and I even had to force myself to plant some lettuce this week.  It was fun trying new things!!

IMG_1144

 

IMG_1148

 

IMG_1159

Uh oh!!  Turns out we did have to dig to find our treasure Smile

Again, the cattle panel was to help keep chickens out.

IMG_1164

No comments: