Wednesday, May 7, 2008

FINALLY!


I actually sat down yesterday afternoon to try and post something. Then I got a phone call and one of our cows was in the middle of labor down in the Easter Egg field (thus named for the enormous amount of eggs we hide there every year). So off I went. When we got there my SIL had deduced that she needed help, when I looked I couldn't dispute the fact. So the chase was on. I had no idea how fast a cow could run with a baby hanging out of her privates. AND that she could jump a fence as well. We did this for about a half hour and then let her rest to see if she made any progress on her own. No luck. The teenagers finally devised a plan and we finally got her. Tammy and I pulled with all our might during the contractions while Dad worked on getting the head out. We got him about half way and then decided Steve needed to take over. That was one exhausted calf and cow.

Today they are doing fine except for a slight limp on the babies back leg. He is huge!!! And she was a first time mother.

Anyway, that is how it is around here. Always something going on. Always!!! I like it but you forget how busy you can stay. Since we have been back we have had an Easter Egg hunt, Easter, been boating/water skiing, gotten 20 chickens, 10 turkeys, 4 geese, and 2 ducks. We have lost 1 (lousy) chicken, 5 turkeys (being the most expensive) and a goose. Justin has hatched 11 more chickens. My sister-in-law has had a baby (she is soooo cute), I have helped with her home (this is child #7) and her kids. We had a baby shower. We have gone camping and John was promoted to First Sergeant. John was off for the first 3 weeks of being home and he helped put skirting up, made stairs, put up a shed, planted an enormous about of fruit trees and worked around the farm among other many miscellaneous tasks to numerous to mention. Sam (BIL) killed a coyote in his front yard (next door to us) and has it now on display for all the other coyotes as a warning (I haven't actually seen the display, but he did bring it over to show us : )

Justin turned 16, Jordan (niece) turned 13 and Vickie (niece) turned 20. On our own acre we have killed 2 copperheads and 1 rat snake (actually I think they turned this one loose, but I can't get anybody to actually confess to this or not).

We have only had internet for a week and I've been trying to figure out how to get all of this down. I'm tired just thinking about it. So this will have to do.

Hopefully I will be able to blog more often. At some point I did put pictures in the family file of our boating/water skiing trip. So be sure to check it out.

1 comment:

Jean said...

I'm tired just reading about it all. You ARE busy! A LOT busier than I am and I live only 2 houses down! It is great having you back! Jeanie